Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ups and Downs: Motivation

Let me start off by saying that I love riding my bike. Plenty of people wax poetic about the connection they feel between themselves, the machine and the road. I don't know about all of that. I like being outside, I like challenging myself, and I like seeing new things. Even on the same ride I've done a hundred times, I'll notice new things.

That's now. It wasn't always that way.

Last year was my first year racing my bike. Which was different in about a million ways than riding my bike. When I'm out riding, it's by myself. I control how hard I go, how far into the hurt locker I venture. If I crash, it's because I was pushing my limits way too hard. Or I've had a seizure.

Racing, someone else controls the pace. Really, a few people that feel good that day control the pace. Sometimes that's great because you can ride at a good clip, have a conversation with the guy next to you, and it's all quite well. Other times it's too slow, and it doesn't feel like you're racing anyone. Then, there's the third kind of pace. That's the one that involves pain. That's racing.

Then there's the sketchiness aspect. Anyone with a pulse and a bike can race in the Cat. 5's. That means you don't need any bike handling skills whatsoever. It's like getting your driver's license without taking driver's ed. Or being behind the wheel except in a parking lot. It's scary.

After a couple of these sketchy races, I decided I wanted to move up in category as quickly as possible. Normally, it would take 10 races. With good results, I was assured, you could do it in fewer. So I raced my ass off. I trained sporadically and always at massive intensity in an attempt to bring in those results. And I did bring in results. In the rain and in the cold, I was racing hard and doing well.

I got that upgrade in under 10. In fact, I got it in about 6 races. I probably could have had it after 4 or 5, but I didn't want to be rejected. What can I say; I'm weak at heart when it comes to rejection.

Then, I pretty much quit. Remember that post from months ago that's just below this one? That was pretty much the last time I went for a real bike ride until winter hit. Then I got out the trainer and some old Tour videos on Netflix. Somehow, on the trainer, the passion started to slowly creep back in. I even decided to dust off the ol' Velomatic blog. I can't say how regular the posts will be for the winter months but when racing starts up, I'm sure there will be more to talk about. Until then, I'll be training, and maybe even letting you know how and why I'm doing what I'm doing.

For the moment, I'll leave you (the readers that once read my new blog and then my new blog and then quit because I quit) with this. Next season will be good. Not because I'm going to win or cat up, but because I'll enjoy riding my bike. And racing my bike. For the sake of racing it, and not in spite of racing it under certain circumstances. Results are good, but I already know that my first race of the year will be working for someone else. It's his birthday the next day, and he's been a good mate that deserves a W. There's just something about seeing a guy bury himself to the point of detonation in an attempt to set up someone else for a good result knowing they're not going to come close to the podium that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment