Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gear Review: Too Little

I wrote this a while back and never got around to posting it. I don't really know why. Here it is now, a season late, without any sort of proper segue as to why I hadn't written it earlier anyway.

A big reason for not writing this is what has been a record snowfall. For individual storms, for the season, and for all damn time, we've had more of the white powdery stuff than ever before. This is, of course, one of the worst things that can happen to a road cyclist. I say "a road cyclist" because my full suspension mountain bike is down for repairs, my hardtail jumping bike was just sold, and my 29er as well as my cyclocross bike don't exist. Which leaves me with nothing but a road bike.

On to what matters though: A gear review from someone that just barely knows what he's talking about. Now, I will grant you that there are a ton of places that you can find reviews by people that have very few years racing. I, however, am basically the exact same. Or I mean ... wait ... OK, so the fact of the matter is that I'm not that experienced, but sometimes that's good. I haven't been doing this and learning to hate things, or even worse, refusing to try things. That means I can give you a fresh impression. One that may be much like your own.

The gear I'd like to tell you about: Having too little.

That's right; I'm not going to write on about some brand name or specific piece of equipment that you absolutely can't live without. I'm going to tell you a little story. Hopefully you'll learn just as much from this as you will from hearing that a frame is "laterally stiff and vertically compliant."

A week out, the weather looked piss poor for Sunday, and poor for Saturday. The team keeps trying to get big rides going even though it's winter, but this weekend in particular didn't look so great. As the day came closer, the e-mails began to take a slightly less positive tone. People that were so-so early in the week turned to definitely not making it. People that were going to definitely go became so-so. A few said that we'd definitely be there.

Then, a few became two. Just myself and one other. The other guy that decided he'd make it is originally from Minnesota. That probably should have given me a bit of hesitation. It didn't.

The day of the ride I pulled my car up next to my mate's, and he got in the car where the heater was on full. I pulled out my trusty iPhone where the Weather Channel App told me it was 17 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill of -1. It did not dawn on me at the time that this is the exact temperature I keep my freezer set to.

In the time it took me to put on my sock liners, thick socks, shoes, and shoe covers, I had begun to lose feeling in a couple toes. When I was pretty much completely dressed I told my mate I'd need to take a minute before we headed out. My fingers, while being inside super thick Gore-Tex motorcycle gloves, had begun to sting something fierce from the whole 4 minutes it took to put my kit on.

For the record, I've ridden my motorcycle (without any fairing) at 70 mph when the temperature was 34 degrees, and while cold, my fingers didn't hurt like they did before that ride.

After a brief break behind the car and in what you could kind of call the sun, we rolled out.

It was cold. Winds over 20 mph, gusting to 40, and then adding 15+ mph I started to wonder if I was properly dressed. The ride starts with a mild climb, and then descends for a bit. After about half of the climb I was working my way from wondering to getting a feeling. We stopped so I could adjust my scarf and get it up over my cheeks which were starting to sting from wind burn.

A scarf is not only fashionable with the right outfit, but can be a very useful piece to add to your wardrobe when it's cold. I've even used a scarf with great success on the bike. There are certain things that a scarf can't do, though. This was one of those things.

As we neared the top of the first little incline, I began to know I was under-prepared and started to do the very loose calculations of just how much I could stand. We were climbing, so that was the warmest I could expect to be. But I wasn't really warmed up. What about when we went down though? A 35 mph head wind on top of everything? I don't really want that. But what about if the wind dies down on the other side of the road? And besides, I've gotta stick it out. Look at the guy next to me with the walrus moustache hanging out of his balclava. I don't want to disappoint the driving force behind getting the team rides started so early in the year.

Just over the top of the hill, I gave up. My cheeks were starting to feel like they were covered with sand paper and not cotton, my big toes were numbing while the toes descending from them were increasing in their pain levels, and my legs still hadn't even begun to come to life.

The moral of the story is that sometimes you don't have the right equipment for a particular circumstance. When that happens, it might be best to pack it in. If you get outside and realize you don't even want to stand there in street clothes, it might not be the best day for a ride.

My gear was too little, and I do not recommend it to anyone. If you've got the "too little" style of gear then do like I should have done and stay your ass inside. Trust me, it's more fun that way.

p.s. There is always one exception, and that is racing. If there's a race that you're underprepared for then go out there and do it anyway. You'll forget about how cold you are in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment